Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Blade Runner

This was the first time Id seen Blade Runner, and I have to admit I wasnt much of a fan. I did however really like the concept of the Replicants. The fact that they were programmed to be stronger and smarter than the average human was a cool idea, as well as the foresight to program a time limit on their existence. After we talked in class about the possibility of Deckard being a Replicant, I went home and re-watched the film and have decided that he is not one. According to the back of the DVD case, the unicorn vision he has was not in the original movie: It was added into the film before its "digitally remastered" re-release to possibly "suggest Deckard may be a humanoid." It is my feeling that some fans of the original production had that very question of Deckards human status and pressed Ridley Scott or Michael Deeley to clarify his status and they then added that unicorn scene. Regardless, the film was decent but nothing special in my mind. The only note worthy aspect of the movie was the concept of the replicants, though I thought it could have been done better.

No comments: