Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Tron

To be honest, this was the first time I'd seen Tron, which is surprising because after watching it I can't imagine not being obsessed with it as a child (it opened only two years before I was born, you'd think somebody would have introduced it to me). Overall, getting past the computer graphics (while I respect that this was the first time graphics like this had been attempted) Tron was a great story. It addressed the issues that are currently being debated, like the point in time when computers will be so intelligent that they become the dominant force and the subsequent human interfacing with the computer to destroy it, it was quite ahead of its time. It was a little hard for me to get past watching the Dude from the Big Lebowski save the computer world and become the Hero of a PG Disney movie. Oh yea, and what REALLY took me out of the movie was seeing a giant Mickey Mouse head on the ground as the butterfly on a beam-of-light ship passed over it, that was really unnecessary and blatant product placement. That was not my cup of tea. Also, having been a huge Southpark fan my entire life, it was hard for me to take the image of the master controller seriously, because that was the same image of Moses in a Southpark episode, an episode where Moses demands paper plate maraca's and macaroni necklaces. On that note however, I recognized a lot of scenes in the film from a lot of my favorite television shows, like the light cycle scene in Family Guy... ok I'm getting off track... Either way, I thought this was a great movie for its time, I even went out and bought it so I could watch the extra features, I'm a movie nerd like that!

No comments: